The another interesting place of interest in Madurai is Thirumalai Nick Mahal. It is about lk.m. south-east of the Meenakshi Temple. This graceful palace was constructed
in Indo-saracenic style by King Thirumalai Nick in 1636 A.D.
This Palace once again illustrates the architectural mastery of the Nick. What remains of the palace is an open courtyard surrounded by numerous tall pillars connected by highly decorative arches. This Palace has carved dome that soars without the support of girders or rafters. The stucco work on its domes and arches are remarkable.
This building we see today only the main palace where the King lived. The original Palace complex was four times bigger than the present structure. The Palace is kept open to the public from 9.00 a.m. to 1.00p.m.and from 2.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. A sound and light Programme depicting the story of Thirumalai Nick and of Silappathikaram is organised here daily at 6.45 p.m. to 9.00 p.m.