has already been made that the Vaishnava traditions ascribe its building to the great teacher, Ramanuja, about 1130A.D. This date falls within the period of Chola rule. The Chola capitals onthe pillars of the verandah round the main shrine and its mukhamantapa indicate this date: These pillars are similar to those of the Parasaresvara temple at Jogi-Mallavaram, which belongs to the middle of the tenth century and which is a pucca Chola temple. The
decorations on the outer side of the walls of the Garbhagriha and Antarcda of the Govindaraja shrine indicate a definitely later date. The pilasters and the Salakostka on die walls are of the Pandya style and border upon the early Vijayanagara style. It is certain, therefore, that the present shrine of Govindaraja is not the one built by Ramanuja. The temporary structure raised by Ramanuja must have been of the Chola style and must have been subsequently replaced by the present structure. The earliest record found on the innermost gopura belongs to the fifteenth year of the Yadavaraya chief, Viranarasingadeva, corresponding to 1224A.D. A record of the same reign refers to gifts made, among other purposes, for repairs of the temple. A record at Tirumala, dated 1245 A.D., states that the main shrine of the temple of Sri Venkatesvara was renovated in the reign of Narasingadeva. It will be reasonable to presume that the temple of Govindaraja was also rebuilt at this time. Only the Garbha- griha and the Antarala were rebuilt and die Mukhamantapa and the pillared verandah of the three-sides were left as they ware.